It is the first and oldest public garden in Germany: The Düsseldorf Hofgarten, the inner city green lung of the Rhine metropolis, was established back in 1769.
It extends from the Jacobistrasse with the Jägerhof Palace and the adjoining Malkasten area all the way to Heinrich-Heine-Allee and extends from the northern end of Königsallee to the Ehrenhof on the Rhine embankment. The park covers an area of just under 28 hectares and marks the transition from a strictly Baroque garden style to a natural English landscape garden. A good third of it is dedicated to meadows where nature lovers can enjoy themselves. The designer of the Hofgarten, Maximilian Weyhe, enjoyed the luxury of having such green splendour on his own doorstep. He lived in the Hofgärtnerhaus.