The roots of the Kunstpalast Museum, part of the Ehrenhof, date back to 1902. Düsseldorf, which rivalled Munich and Berlin, was established as an art centre at that time.
The objective succeeded, and the Kunstpalast museum presents a wide-ranging exhibition program. In 1906, the “Grosse Kunstausstellung Düsseldorf (great Düsseldorf art exhibition)” took place for the first time, which is still known today as “Die Grosse (the great one)” and is a fixed date in the Düsseldorf event calendar. Meanwhile, the neo-baroque original building was demolished. The architect Wilhelm Kreis designed the Ehrenhof in 1925/26 and established an expressionist building ensemble there. The Robert Schumann Hall which is part of today's Kunstpalast is an important venue for concerts.