But the green oasis between Brehmstrasse, Graf-Recke-Strasse and Faunastrasse, Mathildenstrasse and Grunerstrasse had a special attraction to offer. In 1876, the Düsseldorf Zoo was opened there. Alfred Brehm no less was the one who had suggested it. The animal park became particularly important in the 1920s and 30s, when enthusiasm for natural sciences grew and it was considered modern among the educated middle classes to acquire knowledge about zoology and botany. The Second World War ended the history of the zoo. It was destroyed in a bombing raid and was not rebuilt. The green area with the old structures and the valuable trees is still preserved.