The Catholic St. Andreas-Kirche in the heart of Altstadt (Old town) assumes a special position regarding the history of art. It is considered a masterpiece of the outgoing German Renaissance and the beginning of the Baroque period.
Started by the Jesuits in 1619, thanks to the conversion by Duke Wolfgang Wilhelm from the House of Pfalz-Neuburg to the Catholic Church, the church was completed in the middle of the Thirty Years' War in just seven years. In the 1970s, the Dominicans moved their Düsseldorf convent from the Herzogstrasse into the old town and have since taken over the pastoral care of St. Andrew's Church. The magnificent interior and the mausoleum on the north side of the church are particularly well worth seeing.