Stiftsplatz 7, 40213Düsseldorf
St. Lambertus is sacred to the people of Düsseldorf for several reasons: Firstly, the Catholic church is a landmark of the historical Altstadt (Old town), on the other hand, its church festival forms the spiritual background to the worldly pleasure, the “Biggest funfair on the Rhine” which is still popular today.
The three-aisled hall church, built in the style of the Lower Rhine brick Gothic, was founded in 1288, the year of the city founding. Its present appearance is the result of a fire in 1815 that destroyed the spire. The renovation was probably done using fresh, damp wood, which resulted in the roof becoming twisted. Legend has it that the devil twisted the church tower as he tried to uproot the church. The new west portal from the 1950s is the work of the sculptor Ewald Mataré.